- Home show kicks off (3/17/18)
- 40 meet on economic development (3/16/18)
- Missouri House and Nevada Lions Club honor Ernsbarger (3/14/18)
- Bronaugh R-7 board adopts new online program (3/13/18)
- Joanna Perkins: NRMC nurse for 50 years (3/9/18)1
- Democratic Party hears about initiative (3/7/18)
- Geraldine Ogle to turn 102 (3/6/18)
- NHS student-athletes garner Academic All-State accolades (3/3/18)
- Third annual Family STEM Night (3/3/18)
- Shupe retiring, Baldwin running (3/2/18)
Tim Spangler (3/17/18)Tim Spangler, 62, Stockton, died. Services will be Sunday at the Stockton Christian Church at 2 p.m. Arrangements are under the direction of Bland-Brumback Funeral Home, Stockton.
Herbert “Alan” Hoover (3/16/18)Herbert “Alan” Hoover, 80, Nevada, passed away on Wednesday, March 14, at Barone Alzheimer’s Care Center in Nevada. Alan was born April 14, 1937, in El Paso, Texas, to George Edwin and Dorothy...
Opal Irene Fleming (3/16/18)Opal Irene Fleming, age 91, of Joplin, Mo., (previously a longtime resident of Nevada), passed away on Tuesday, March 13, while a patient at Mercy Hospital in Springfield. She had been in good health...
Carole Ann Yoos (3/13/18)Carole Ann Yoos, 74, of rural Bronaugh, died at 10:40 a.m., Saturday, March 10, at Medicalodge, of Fort Scott. Mrs. Yoos was born March 27, 1943, in Clarksville, Tenn., the daughter of Orville and...
Frances Lavern Lammers (3/13/18)Frances Lavern Lammers, 78, Nevada, passed away on Sunday, March 11, at Joplin Gardens in Joplin. Frances was born Sept. 16, 1939, in Nevada, to Adolph James and Grace Lavern (Howard) Soukup. Frances...
Walter Lee Jacks (3/13/18)Walter Lee Jacks, 83, passed away at his home in Richards, on Friday, March 9, following a lengthy illness. Walt was born on Dec. 31, 1934, in Wathena, Kan., to Irvine Noah and Blanche Mae (Dinning)...
Column: What a difference our dresses make (3/9/18)When I was killing time in the doctor‘s office I found a yearbook about 1930 or 40. Some of the pictures are very interesting. The girls are all wearing bobby socks and saddle shoes and most of them were wearing either jackets or light coats in the pictures. When they were changing classes the girls were also wearing head scarfs. They all were wearing dresses along with their wraps...
Column: Mr. Wizard (3/9/18)There was once a television show titled, “Mr. Wizard.” The star and creator of the show was Donald Jeffery Herbert (Wikipedia). To kids from my baby boomer generation, his show which ran on Saturday mornings from 1951-1965, was must-see television. I was reminded of Mr. ...
Column: March is here! (3/3/18)Hi neighbors. March is here! There are some celebrations special to this month. Women’s History Month, National Nutrition Month, Irish-American Heritage Month and the American Red Cross Month. Irish-American Heritage Month offers much recognition of this ethnic group who helped form American culture. Saint Patrick’s Day is only one day, but Irish-American heritages are celebrated all month. Check your ancestors. Most likely there is an Irish link in there somewhere...
Editorial: Love is the answer (3/3/18)The week of Valentine’s Day I was planning on writing an editorial for the Saturday edition about love and what it means to me. But on Valentine’s Day itself a young man filled with hate walked into a school in Parkland, Fla., and murdered 17 people and my heart broke and I couldn’t bring myself to write the words I had intended to write...
Comets rock Dodge City Community College, extend school-record win streak to 11The Cottey Comets stretched their win streak to 11 games with Wednesday's double-header sweep of visiting Dodge City (Kan.) Community College. The Comets returned to the diamond after a nearly two week layoff, and showed little signs of rust in the opener, throttling Dodge City 18-2, in a five inning run-ruled contest. Cottey then prevailed in the nightcap, 15-9...
- Experienced Nevada netters locked-and-loaded for upcoming season (3/16/18)
- Tiger middle schoolers gearing up for track-and-field season (3/14/18)
- Nevada High student-athletes fare well at state powerlifting meet (3/14/18)
- Nevada High’s Bartlett, Gray collect WCC Coach of the Year honors (3/13/18)
- Area student-athletes garner GVVC basketball accolades (3/13/18)
- Gayman secures second consecutive WCC Player of the Year award (3/10/18)
- Paddlefish snaggers eagerly anticipate opening day, Thursday (3/10/18)
- Grand fashion: Payne’s slam, eight RBI, powers Iowa Wesleyan to victory (3/9/18)
- Tigers return to diamond for Seneca jamboree (3/9/18)
- Bartlett: Future bright for Lady Tiger basketball (3/9/18)